Lipstick was the very first cosmetic that I ever fell in love with. I can’t describe the feeling when I first applied my mommy’s red lipstick but I knew then that I wanted tons of lipsticks when I grew up.
Some people have pictures, furniture, dairies, to remind them of different stages in their lives and I have my LIPSTICKS. The lipsticks I keep for ages, bring back precious memories for me and I just can’t throw them away!
As a poor University student, I would really save up to buy Anna Sui, Shu Uemura, Biotherm, Chanel, MAC and MUFE. I was totally into buying “branded” lipsticks and glosses and it was usually a reward after my exams or tests! Yes, I needed beautiful incentives to get through school, cause it was so damn boring. After my Uni days, I spent a yr in MUNICH and all I had was the mainstream brands such as MAC, YSL, maybelline and etc… I got to try some of the German made lipsticks from Manhattan and Art Deco. Still, I was super deprived of the Asian and regular brands that were easily avaliable in Spore. So, now that I’ve been back home for 3 yrs, I totally appreciate the variety of lippies that I can get super easily from a local drugstore or shopping centre.
I have tried quite a number of lipsticks and glosses and nothing beats ANNA SUI, YSL and SHU UEMURA LIPSTICKS and MAC & Japanese LIPGLOSSES:
Here’s a Checklist for things I bear in mind when I go lippy hunting
- PACKAGING – If the lipstick is cheap, I don’t expect maximum durability and beautiful packaging. It still has to be relatively decent though. If I buy expensive lipstick, it should be able to withstand some serious tossing around in my bag. Also, it should look pretty gorgeous ( just like YSL Lipsticks).
- Avaliable Testers that I can swatch with is a must. I like to have a feel of the lippy b4 buying it.
- SMELL – No fishy, plastic smells pls. This is sometimes why I steer clear of cheaper lipsticks. They can smell pretty bad sometimes. Whereas MAC glosses smell like vanilla even after a long time. I actually adore the smell of Anna Sui Lippies too!
- COLOR REPRODUCTION – I like what I see in the tube to be very close to what I have on my lips, bearing in mind that I do have pigmented lips.
- CONSISTENCY – I prefer lipsticks which aren’t too sticky and creamy because they come off very quickly. I think I have slippery lips.
- COLORS – I usually steer clear of very very dark lip colors cause I look very old with them. I used to be into brown shades but now I like pinks and nudes. Shades of purple seem to suit my slightly pigmented lips really well too.
- PRODUCT – I had a creamy MAC LIPSTICK that broke! It was so soft, it practically melted and fell out the tube after 3 weeks ( I didn’t even use it everyday). MAC’s matte lipsticks don’t break as easily. Shu Uemura (SU) Lipsticks on the other hand have lasted years and years for me. Everything from the ink on the packaging to the plastic casing and lipstick is still nicely in tact.
- PRICE – I have a different budget from time to time.
Here’s some of my lippies from my makeup stash:
* Shu Uemura Colors are a little dated cause they are a little old..hehe.. can’t bear to throw them out.. I love the texture and look of the lipstick. Also, I have yet to find a close match to Anna Sui Matte Lipsticks *
I pretty keen on growing my nude/ pinkish/ purplish collection :) I have MAC’s Honey love, Blankety and myth, Revlon’s Nude Attitude and some OCC in mind too.. you guys have anything else to recommend ??